A Young Carer is a child under the age of 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member or friend who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or an addiction problem.
Children may engage in:
- Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping)
- Physical care (lifting or helping someone to use the stairs)
- Personal care (dressing, washing or toileting)
- Managing medication
- Looking after younger siblings
- Helping someone to communicate
Over Hall Community School can support Young Carers, with the help from the charity, Cheshire Young Carers. Together we will consider the tasks the Young Carer is doing, as well as the impact upon their emotional, physical and social wellbeing. We are aware that the demands of this caring role can also sometimes affect the child's progress.
If you, or a family member, needs support or you require any more information please contact our Young Carers lead - Miss Melia.