The Mathematics Lead at Over Hall is Mrs Schuettke. If you have any questions regarding maths, please speak with your child's class teacher or Mrs Schuettke.
At Over Hall we teach for mastery in mathematics. This means that children will have a deep and lasting understanding and are able to make connections and master the skills taught, progressing to more advanced material.
- All children will be challenged and stretched moving through fluency, to varied fluency and arriving at reasoning and problem solving, showing a mastery approach with automaticity.
- To provide progression that captures children’s inquisitiveness around the subject allowing children to develop resilience and enjoyment in mathematics.
- To know when to apply effective mental methods showing an understanding of mathematical relationships between numbers and patterns.
- Staff will show a passion for mathematics demonstrating expert knowledge, understanding and teaching of skills in their year group.
- Children will have support from staff, some with further adult support, to ensure that all children are being challenged at their ability. Intervention sessions will be used as and when required.
- Coverage will be ensured by all staff following the progression of White Rose’s National Curriculum Progression as guidance and will be monitored by subject leaders and senior leaders.
- Children will start exploring the key areas of mathematics with concrete, pictorial and abstract approaches to provide a deep and sustainable understanding of mathematics.
- Staff will assess children against the national curriculum objectives termly, judging children to be below, just below, expected standard or greater depth. Assessments will be informed from independent work in books alongside maths assessment tests. Y2, 4 and 6 will undertake statutary assessments.
- The teacher's knowledge of strengths and areas for development will inform interventions. The interventions will either be 'pre-teach' or 'gap attacks', which aim to ensure that every child strives towards achieving age related expectation or above.
- Assessments will inform planning and next steps for children, whilst being monitored by subject leaders. Staff will be given opportunities to moderate their books in partnership with WEP schools from across the town.
- Staff will be provided with resourses and training from maths specialists to ensure their own professional development is being met to demonstrate knowledge, understanding and teaching of skills.
The teaching of a mastery approach at Over Hall ensures that children are given the opportunity to show a deep and long-lasting understanding in mathematics. Children will enjoy being fluent in the key areas of mathematics, applying their learning to increasingly challenging problems. Children who master the key concepts in mathematics will meet the national expected standard with some children progressing towards greater depth.
Practicing at Home
Learning key skills/facts in maths is an on-going activity, which supports your child in becoming fluent and demonstrating their mastery. Below are a number of website which have games and activities that you can complete at home as a way of supporting your child to develop their mastery skills.
Hit the Button