Key Stage Two - Years 3, 4, 5 & 6
The Curriculum in Key Stage Two (Ages 7-11)
In Lower Key Stage Two, Year 3 and Year 4 there is a programme of learning covering
- Rocks, Plants, Skeletons, Forces and Magnets, Electricity, Habitats and Living Things, Solids, Liquids and Gases, The Water Cycle and Animals and Humans in Science.
- In Art we teach drawing, painting, sculpture and art and design techniques such as colour, texture, pattern etc. Pupils’ learn about a range of artists such as Andy Goldsworthy and Antonio Gaudi. Pupils are also given the opportunity to explore Art through nature by taking part in activities such making their own 3D sculptures.
- In Computing, pupils learn about programming, storing and retrieving information and how networks work. They use espresso coding to explore creating, correcting and manipulating algorithms. They use a range of software to engage and produce work using Word and Publisher. They learn how to communicate and keep themselves safe online.
- In Design and Technology, pupils learn to design, make and evaluate a range of products and learn about sustainability, designing and making bird feeders, bee bombs and bug hotels.
- In MFL children learn greetings, numbers, days of the week, colours and labelling parts of the face and body in Spanish. They are even offered some opportunities to partake in competitions at Winsford Academy.
- In Geography, pupils learn about hills and mountains, the 8 compass points, reading and understanding symbols and keys on maps, volcanoes and earthquakes. They explore their own locality and its changes over time due to growth.
- In History pupils learn about the Egyptians, the changes from the Stone Age to the Iron Age, The Ancient Greeks and the Roman Empire alongside facts about their home town of Winsford.
- In RE children learn about Christianity, Islam and Sikhism. Children support the Christmas Production and lead upon the Easter Production, sharing the stories from Christianity, alongside learning about a range of festivals including Diwali, Chinese New Year, Christingle, Harvest and many more.
- In Music, children learn to sing, play tuned and un-tuned instruments and experiment with making music. In addition, Year 3 and Year 4, pupils are responsible for the Easter Performance where they have the opportunity to sing, act and even stage design! At Christmas they support the Key Stage One production through song.
- In PE, pupils learn to master movements such as running, jumping, throwing and catching, balance, agility and co-ordination. They learn to participate in team activities and competitive and non-competitive games. In Year 3, children attend hourly swimming lessons for 18 weeks. They take part in outdoor educational activities of orienteering and den building.
In Upper Key Stage Two (Years 5 and 6) pupils learn about
- Living things and their habitats, Light and Electricity, Evolution and Inheritance, Earth and Space, Forces and Properties of materials in Science.
- In Art we carry out observational sketches and examine Mayan sculptures, patterns and designs with an opportunity to create our very own using a variety of taught skills such as drawing, painting, sculpture and art and design techniques such as colour, texture, pattern etc.
- In Computing, pupils’ explore the world of digital media, presenting information alongside creating podcasts and multi-level games, whilst also learning about algorithms, programming, sharing information of the web and how to stay safe online.
- In Design and Technology, pupils’ design and create a variety of structures including bird boxes, mobile phone cases, burger boxes, whilst also exploring food technology with their chef hats on!
- In Geography, children learn about their own locality, counties, cities, countries, continents, the United Kingdom and the World. Children also research North and South America, using maps, atlases, globes and the web to explore the vast geographical features on offer in that part of the world.
- In History, pupils’ develop an awareness of UK history including their home town of Winsford since 1066, Anglo Saxons and Vikings and also the Mayan civilisation.
- In Music, for the two years of upper Key Stage 2 children are provided with a wonderful opportunity, in which they are loaned a musical instrument (choice of clarinet, trumpet or trombone) and receive weekly music lessons and are taught how to play it. As a result they leave Over Hall with the ability to read music and play an instrument. Some children choose to extend this interest outside of school or even in Year 7 at their choice of secondary school.
- In PE, pupils’ take part in a variety of competitive games such as dodgeball and hockey, athletic events such as track and field, line dancing, cricket, yoga, orienteering and gymnastics. There are regular opportunities to take part in a vast number of Inter-school competitions.
- In RE, children learn about a variety of faiths and religions including; Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism.
- French is covered as part of a study of a modern foreign language.
We celebrate our learning and experiences in a variety of ways.
We use our Twitter, Class Dojo and Facebook account to capture many events; our newsletter keeps everyone up to date with what is happening and each year group has a page on the website where you can find out more about the classes, their learning and learning links and each week. Weekly assemblies celebrate successes both in and out of school. We invite parents to come and join us at coffee mornings, where children often share their learning.